Friday, March 16, 2007

Giving Light

After my post on the differences in approach to pregnancy, I received a wonderfully encouraging response from the Dar a Luz network. To give birth in Spanish is "dar a luz" which literally means to give light; a beautiful way of describing a new life being born into the world.

I'm very glad to be of help in shedding light on the local approach after having conversations with other women who have gone through their experience in Argentina. I've always tried to keep an open mind in absorbing information from various sources and perspectives in the hope that I am then empowered to make my own choices.

Although I've talked to numerous friends and family who have given birth in Buenos Aires, I still feel I can't get a complete picture of what is considered to be "standard/ best practices" here because there seems to be a lack of consistency among practitioners, and that is not limited solely to obstetrics. It seems to be determined by the rapport one has with one's doctor and whether the doctor has kept his knowledge and practices current.

I am fortunate to have a doctor who is reasonably open-minded and respects the fact that I seek information and knowledge on the subject. When we returned from Sydney after my 1st Trimester, I was facing a very difficult decision – to give birth in Argentina or to return to Sydney?

The advantages of staying at home in Buenos Aires were obvious. All things being equal, the only advantage in returning to Sydney was being able to share this intimate moment with my 86 year-old grandmother who is very, very dear to me.

In the end the decision was made easier for me by my doctor who told me he is overbooked during August. Hence, he cannot assist me in giving birth but would refer me to someone else. As soon as he told me his situation, Guillermo knew immediately that we would be going back to Sydney.

It will be a daunting 20 hour flight home to Sydney but I have been taking very good care of my health and I am confident that I will be fit for the task. On the other hand, it is a pity that I am giving up on the opportunity in knowing the Argentine birthing process first hand. For this reason, I feel ill-qualified to speak for the Dar a Luz network locally. Nonetheless, it is uplifting to know that my intention and effort in sharing information with others are appreciated.