Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Quick Bites

I routinely start my day with a cup of tea in front of the computer getting through emails and my daily dose of news from various newspapers. Then I visit an ever increasing list of blogs I have bookmarked; they started out being solely food blogs but I now read, with relish, an equally long list of others, among them The Sartorialist, Design*Sponge and the musings of Chauli at 瑮律無窮. Thanks to Chauli, a cosomopolitan newspaper editor, I now know who is Blythe Kenner (see photo), her history, and that she is desired by some who would be willing fork out over US$1,000 for her on ebay!

Of all my recent discoveries within the blog world, I prize the one which an Argentine blogs in English. PDF is based in Rosario; through his blog D for Disorientation, he takes an honest and critical look at his country, the people and the politics. His insights on all the craziness happening around him make compelling reading and, I believe, him a kindred spirit of Guillermo's.

Work is going well leaving me less time to deal with my other obligations so I am turning to quick recipes to put appetising and nutritious food on the table. This is one of them; it is wonderful with a side salad for lunch or as the appetiser course for dinner.


Chickpea Fritters:
250g
cooked chickpeas (about 2 cups)
1 zucchini, finely grated
1 carrot, finely grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 chilli (optional), finely chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup ricotta
3 slices of bread or fresh breadcrumbs

Place all the ingredients into a food processor and process for a couple of minutes until combined. (If you don't have a food processor, simply mash the chickpeas and mix together with the rest of the ingredients).

Divide the mixture into 8 and shape into patties and if you have time, put them in the fridge for 15 minutes. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the patties and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until crispy. Be careful when you turn them over, as they are quite delicate.
Remove and drain excess oil on paper towel. Serve warm.

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home