Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Quick Bites

I routinely start my day with a cup of tea in front of the computer getting through emails and my daily dose of news from various newspapers. Then I visit an ever increasing list of blogs I have bookmarked; they started out being solely food blogs but I now read, with relish, an equally long list of others, among them The Sartorialist, Design*Sponge and the musings of Chauli at 瑮律無窮. Thanks to Chauli, a cosomopolitan newspaper editor, I now know who is Blythe Kenner (see photo), her history, and that she is desired by some who would be willing fork out over US$1,000 for her on ebay!

Of all my recent discoveries within the blog world, I prize the one which an Argentine blogs in English. PDF is based in Rosario; through his blog D for Disorientation, he takes an honest and critical look at his country, the people and the politics. His insights on all the craziness happening around him make compelling reading and, I believe, him a kindred spirit of Guillermo's.

Work is going well leaving me less time to deal with my other obligations so I am turning to quick recipes to put appetising and nutritious food on the table. This is one of them; it is wonderful with a side salad for lunch or as the appetiser course for dinner.


Chickpea Fritters:
250g
cooked chickpeas (about 2 cups)
1 zucchini, finely grated
1 carrot, finely grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 chilli (optional), finely chopped
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup ricotta
3 slices of bread or fresh breadcrumbs

Place all the ingredients into a food processor and process for a couple of minutes until combined. (If you don't have a food processor, simply mash the chickpeas and mix together with the rest of the ingredients).

Divide the mixture into 8 and shape into patties and if you have time, put them in the fridge for 15 minutes. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the patties and cook for about 3 minutes on each side or until crispy. Be careful when you turn them over, as they are quite delicate.
Remove and drain excess oil on paper towel. Serve warm.