Friday, August 25, 2006

Moo, then Snooze

Sleepiness and flu-like symptoms are keeping me away from spending much time in front of the computer. Sadly, I have also stayed away from the kitchen; beside two meals a day I hardly have the energy to open the fridge, let alone doing my routine baking for Guillermo's merienda (snack).

With this lack of energy to cook and a sudden craving for meat and grease, we have been dining on steaks frequently of late. Argentine beef is the surest bet as far as finding organic meat in this country is concerned. The cows are 100% grass-fed and the government has banned the use of hormones.

I have also just realised steak is the ultimate fast food! Since we like our meat jugoso (juicy), it takes 5 mintues on one side, then 2 on the other and we have an organic meal in front of us.

Argentines tend to have their steak without condiments but a shower of salt. In our culturally confused household, we do things a little differently. Tonight, I made a confit of onion using balsamic vinegar and a pinch of brown sugar. The combination of meat juices and the rounded sweetness of the aged vinegar just hit the right spot, not only in me but Guillermo too.
With my craving fulfilled, I am off to bed now...